Ikea’s Besta line of cabinets is decent looking on its own, but in reality, pretty plain. Today’s Ikea hack helps you add a little flavour to your living room by making a TV stand that’s got clean lines and a homey feel both down pat. Plus, it’s super easy to do.
The parts. You’ll need:
- Besta TV unit with drawers, white – $215.00
- several sizes of solid oak lumber
- wood glue
- Measure out the Besta unit and have the oak cut to size at your local lumber store. The original Ikea hack extends the oak down both sides of the unit and replaces the Ikea legs, so factor that in to your measurements if you plan to do the same. Get enough oak cut to cover the two sides and the entire top of the unit.
- Attach the oak to the sides of the unit by pre-drilling holes to line up with the four corners of the Besta unit, then drilling the oak into place.
- Use wood glue to attach the third piece of oak to the top of the unit. You might want to wait to add the top portion inside your apartment – oak is really heavy!
Source: Ikea Hackers